Jan 012006
 

A few guys and galsmade it to the field in the afternoon. The temperature was in the low 40s with some wind – not as nice as a recent trip to Chickie’s Rock but great fun.

Baby, it's cold outside...

Some new toys had their maiden flights and the session ended with some excitement…

..it's not THAT cold...

Fortunately, no harm to people or property was done. The battery plug on a LiPo battery appears to have shorted out in the flightbox.

Some LiPo safety and handling reminders:

    If you need to adjust the length of wires, cut them separately. Do not allow exposed ends of wires to touch.
    To put a connector on battery leads, remove insulating tape of the RED wire and solder it to the positive terminal of a connector first, then remove the insulating tape of the black wire and solder it to the negative terminal of the connector.
    DO NOT short the wire leads. Shorting can cause fire, if you short the wires by an accident, you MUST place the battery on the nonflammable surface best outside for observation for 15-20 minutes (battery can ignite even after 10 minutes) .
    Let the battery cool down to ambient temperature before charging.
    Do not discharge battery below 3V per cell (2.5V under load).
    Do not puncture or mechanically damage the cells.
    IN CASE OF CRASH, PLACE THE BATTERY IN A SAFE OPEN SPACE AND OBSERVE AT LEAST FOR 15-20 MINUTES!!!
    Do not put the loose cells in a pocket, bag, or drawer where they could short-circuit against other items, or the battery tabs could be pressed against each other.
    Do not place the loose cells on any conductive surface, such as a metal-topped table.
    Keep loose cells and battery packs WELL out of reach of children!
    If the electrolyte in the cells should get on your skin, thoroughly wash with soap and water. If in the eyes, rinse thoroughly with cool water. Immediately seek medical attention.
    Electrolyte spills can be cleaned from models or workbench with methanol or detergent-water solution.
    Although environmentally friendly, lithium polymer cells must be FULLY discharged before disposal. Use a resistor setup (light bulbs, for example) to accomplish this, to avoid the possibility of a short-induced fire after disposal.
    For long-term storage, charge fully, then discharge to 50%-60% of rated capacity.